Wednesday, June 3, 2009

T Minus one

Boots seem so basic as to be ignored. Actually they are critical to having a good trip. If your feet are wet, cold, pinched, or cramped you will have a horrible time. These are 12 years old, made for Aerostich, and took me two years to break in. Here I have them sitting the sun so a fresh coat of SnoSeal will soak into the leather. This makes the boots more supple and helps keep them dry on the inside. Don't believe anyone who claims that their boots are waterproof. They just have not ridden through a long enough rainstorm.

The first thing people ask about when we talk about a long distance trip is how sore by butt will be. OK, let's cut to the chase....yes my ass does get sore. This gets better as the trip goes on but I try to solve the problem by having a decent seat and moving around on the seat. This trip I will be using a sheepskin pad.

It's handy to have a way to carry stuff you get along the way. I also use this net to help dry my socks if they are not dry from hanging in the room overnight after a wash in the sink. Note the attachment points on the hard bags.
My bike has chain drive. I like the fact that it is the most efficient way to transmit power but the fact is that you need to lubricate the chain to keep road grime from eating away at the built in lubrication which is sealed with 'O' rings. The lube also keeps rust at bay. I'm using an automatic oiler that dispenses oil based on distance traveled. I can change that setting on the fly if, for example, I am in a heavy downpour that is washing the lube from the chain. I use ATF as a lube because it slings dirt off and keeps the rust away. Yes is does make a mess on the rear wheel so I have the unit set for very light delivery.
It seems a shame to have all the electrical gadgets we love to have but also have a huge lump of chargers that must be plugged into the wall every night. I have run 12V electricity from the bike into my tank bag. In the bag I can charge my cell phone or IPod.
Speaking of electrical stuff, I have installed a volt meter just above the controller for the ProOiler. Above both you can see a knob that controls the heat to my heated vest. Once you try heated gear it's hard to do without.
Of course everyone seems to use a GPS nowdays. Mine is a Garmin Zumo. Oh, I still carry a bunch of paper maps. The GPS is a handy backup for the Ducati speedometer and a reminder of when I have gone 150 miles and should start looking for fuel. The gas gauge on the Multistrada is not to be trusted!!!
Here you can see the adjustable levers, handguards, and throttle assist. They combine to make the bike fit me better as well as offering a bit of comfort on a long trip.

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying your blog and can feel the sense of anticipation for the start. I took my first "long" trip two years ago, a week long 2,000+ miler from Vermont to remote northeastern Quebec (see blog: http://mymultiworld.blogspot.com/ ).

    This year I am planning a month long trip out to the Pacific northwest, leaving July 18. I find planning the trip to be a big part of the fun. I plan to bring my laptop and will blog that trip on the same site.

    last night on PBS they had a documentary about a guy who lived in the Alaskan wilderness for a year back in the 60s. It's fabulous country and I envy you just a bit - maybe I'll do Alaska next year but right now I'm thinking Newfoundland.

    Ride safe and post a lot.

    RB

    ReplyDelete