Tuesday, June 2, 2009

T Minus 2

With time getting shorter and shorter I spent yesterday getting some of my last minute tasks done; waterproof bag, ear plugs, hi tech undershirt, and an attempt to figure out why I have that check engine light glowing from time to time. The plan included hooking up my computer to the bike and using Techno Research software to diagnose any trouble codes on the bike computer. Of course things did not go as planned. I could not get one computer to talk to the other. After a series of calls to Michigan to talk to the tech guys at Techno Research we realized that I had a very old copy of their software along with an old driver for the interface cable. Once I loaded the new software at least I now had the two computers talking but then I discovered that the Ducati computer does not save a history of trouble codes! Now I'm back to square one. As I will worry constantly if the trouble light is burning I think I better bite the bullet and replace the fuel filter. For the non Ducati owners this means taking much of the bike apart because the tank is a large plastic gizmo that actually extends to under the rider's seat. The filter is inside the tank along with the fuel pump. Oh well, might as well start now.This is the fuel pump with fuel filter. At shop rates I bet it takes $200 to install the $4 part.
This shows why I hate to remove the tank. That's the gas tank on the towel....it's huge!

3 comments:

  1. I've never joined a blog before. Hope I can keep up with your travels/adventures. SB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes working on the ST look easy! Hope everything works well for you...what're you taking for handwear? I encountered some very wet & cold(40F??) weather on the way back from Miller this week and my fingies were the only part that suffered. One of these days I've got to get around to heated grips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colin, I'm taking heated gloves, rain gloves, waterproof overgloves, and spare leather gloves. There is snow on the ground in northern Canada so I am forcing myself to pack for the cold even though it was 92F here today. thanks for reminding me of how much the conditions can change on this trip. BTW, I still remember you pouring water OUT of your boot on our trip from West Virginia!

    ReplyDelete